After School Program Staff (Brookland Elementary)
Deadline: September 30, 2023
Location: Brookland Elementary
The YMCA of Cape Breton is looking for energetic, fun, and responsible individuals to enter the role of our After-School Program Staff. This individual will be responsible for contributing to a teamwork dynamic and delivering safe, inclusive, responsive, and engaging programming in our after-school program.
The YMCA of Cape Breton is a charitable organization dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of responsibility to themselves, each other and the global community. In joining the YMCA, you will become part of a dedicated team of individuals with great passion for supporting each other and the communities in which we serve. You commit to embracing and promoting the YMCA culture of philanthropy, inclusion and allyship both in and outside of the workplace.
The YMCA of Cape Breton recognizes the critical importance of investing in the development of the spirit, mind and body of our children to build healthy communities.
The After-School Program staff will work in the YMCA of Cape Breton’s Childcare Division, reporting to the After-School Program Coordinator. The After-School Program Staff will be responsible for delivering quality program at our off-site childcare program at Brookland Elementary School.
- Deliver play-based learning curriculum to children.
- Help plan, organize, and lead inclusive and diverse games, crafts, activities, field trips, and more for school-aged children
- Adhere to offsite childcare guidelines and NS BAP standards of delivery
- Engage in planned and spontaneous program activities with the children
- Support curriculum development in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Nova Scotia Standards to foster maximum development for each child’s potential and growth
- Monitor and record individual children’s progress through daily observations, and attendance maintenance.
- Responsible for the physical, social, emotional, affective and cognitive development of the children in the program
- Maintain contact with all the children to meet their needs – security, protection, affection, discipline, stimulation, warmth and comfort and belonging; respect each child’s abilities, culture, and diversity by demonstrating unconditional acceptance and encouragement of children.
- Maintain a relationship with families and meet their needs of comfort, security, warmth and acceptance as part of the program
- Be a member of a strong team of staff through attending staff meetings and participating in professional collaboration.
- Communicate concerns and suggestions to the After School Program Coordinator
- Keep up to date with children’s information and the Child Care Department’s Policies including Behaviour Guidance, Child Abuse Protocol and Confidentiality.
- Commit to professional development opportunities as they arise
- Other duties as assigned by the After School Program Coordinator.
- Experience working with children
- Good interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive working relationships with diverse groups of children and their families.
- Experience in an educational setting or day camps/childcare/leadership is an asset.
- Experience developing and delivering childcare programs is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Maintain a current First aid and CPR certification
Skills and Competencies:
- Child and Youth Focused
- Creativity and Innovation
- Excellent Interpersonal and Judgement Skills
- Relationship Building and Collaboration
- Sense of Community
Reports to: After School Program Coordinator
Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check, and a Child Abuse Registry Check. Employees will be required to complete YMCA Child Protection Training.
The YMCA of Cape Breton is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Brookland BAP”. Clearly indicate in your cover letter how you meet the qualifications. Please note that only candidates considered for interviews will be contacted.