After School Program Staff
Deadline: December 31, 2023
Starting date: December 2023
Location: Sydney Area (Harbourside Elementary and Brookland Elementary)
Be the spark that ignites the potential in people! The YMCA of Cape Breton is looking for energetic, fun, and responsible individuals to enter the role of our After-School Program Staff. This individual will be responsible for contributing to a teamwork dynamic and delivering safe, inclusive, responsive, and engaging programming in our after-school program.
The YMCA of Cape Breton is one of the largest charities in Nova Scotia and a member of one of the most recognized organizations in the world. Our mission is to connect and ignite the potential in people, helping them grow and give back to our communities. Through building connections with people at all ages and stages of their lives – as well as the broader community – the YMCA of Cape Breton serves over 35 000 people annually.
Programs and services focus on empowering people of all ages and life stages to overcome barriers and rise to their full potential. These include: health, fitness and aquatics; licensed childcare; employment programs (Nova Scotia Works); youth programming and related community services. The YMCA occupies 13 program sites across Cape Breton Island.
The YMCA of Cape Breton offers a great workplace culture achieved through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, values differences, celebrates achievements and supports full participation by all employees. We believe that everyone belongs! The YCB provides 200+ employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of those within our communities.
The YMCA of Cape Breton recognizes the critical importance of investing in the development of the spirit, mind and body of our children to build healthy communities.
The After-School Program staff will work in the YMCA of Cape Breton’s Childcare Division, reporting to the After-School Program Coordinator. The After-School Program Staff will be responsible for delivering a quality program at our off-site childcare program in Inverness Education Centre/Academy.
- Deliver play-based learning experiences to children
- Help plan, organize, and lead inclusive and diverse games, crafts, activities, field trips, and more for school-aged children
- Adhere to offsite childcare guidelines and NS BAP standards of delivery
- Engage in planned and spontaneous program activities with the children
- Monitor and record individual children’s progress through daily observations, and attendance maintenance
- Responsible for the physical, social, emotional, affective and cognitive development of the children in the program
- Maintain contact with all the children to meet their needs – security, protection, affection, discipline, stimulation, warmth and comfort and belonging; respect each child’s abilities, culture, and diversity by demonstrating unconditional acceptance and encouragement of children
- Maintain a relationship with families and meet their needs of comfort, security, warmth and acceptance as part of the program
- Be a member of a strong team of staff through attending staff meetings and participating in professional collaboration
- Communicate concerns and suggestions to the After School Program Coordinator
- Keep up to date with children’s information and the Childcare Department’s Policies including Behaviour Guidance, Child Abuse Protocol and Confidentiality
- Commit to professional development opportunities as they arise
- Other duties as assigned by the After School Program Coordinator
- Experience working with children
- Good interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive working relationships with diverse groups of children and their families
- Experience in an educational setting or day camps/childcare/leadership is an asset.
- Experience developing and delivering childcare programs is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Maintain a current first aid and CPR certification
- First Aid
- Criminal Record Check
- Child Abuse Registry
Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check, and a Child Abuse Registry Check. Employees will be required to complete YMCA Child Protection Training.
Skills and Competencies:
- Child and Youth Focused
- Creativity and Innovation
- Excellent Interpersonal and Judgement Skills
- Relationship Building and Collaboration
- Sense of Community
Reports to: After School Program Coordinator
Number of Positions: Multiple
The YMCA of Cape Breton is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
How To Apply
Be the welcoming face.
Be that reassuring smile.
Be the helping hand.
Be the spark that helps everyone Shine On.
Please email your cover letter and resume in one document to: email@example.com
Please note only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We look forward to hearing from you!