Early Childhood Educator (Term position – may lead to full time)
Deadline: January 26, 2024
Starting date: January 2024
Salary: From $15.00 to $25.12/ hour
Location: 399 Charlotte Street, Sydney, NS
Be the spark that ignites the potential in people! The YMCA of Cape Breton is seeking an Early Childhood Educator to join our Early Learning Centre team for a casual substitute position.
The YMCA of Cape Breton is one of the largest charities in Nova Scotia and a member of one of the most recognized organizations in the world. Our mission is to connect and ignite the potential in people, helping them grow and give back to our communities. Through building connections with people at all ages and stages of their lives – as well as the broader community – the YMCA of Cape Breton serves over 35 000 people annually.
Programs and services focus on empowering people of all ages and life stages to overcome barriers and rise to their full potential. These include: health, fitness and aquatics; licensed childcare; employment programs (Nova Scotia Works); youth programming and related community services. The YMCA occupies 14 program sites across Cape Breton Island.
The YMCA of Cape Breton offers a great workplace culture achieved through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, values differences, celebrates achievements and supports full participation by all employees. We believe that everyone belongs! The YCB provides 200+ employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of those within our communities.
Reporting to the Centre Director, the Early Childhood Educator is responsible for creating a stimulating, safe and nurturing environment for children to learn and grow. The Early Childhood Educator is responsible for ensuring YMCA Playing to Learn program requirements are met and exceeded while complying with the Education & Early Childhood Development Regulations and National YMCA Child Protection Standards.
The Early Childhood Educator will:
- Plan and implement YMCA Playing to Learn Curriculum in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Child Care Centre to foster maximum development for each child’s potential and growth.
- Plan, implement, and assess developmentally appropriate indoor and outdoor learning environments for young children that support emotional and social development, while understanding and encouraging positive self-concepts.
- Use a variety of teaching techniques that include, but are not limited to, modelling, observing, questioning, demonstrating, and reinforcing.
- Effectively communicate concerns and suggestions openly to the Director, the Assistant Director, and co-workers.
- To work collaboratively with the team
- Be knowledgeable of staffing information and the Childcare Department’s Policies including Behavior Guidance, Child Abuse Protocol, and Confidentiality.
- Attend professional development workshops and mandatory curriculum trainings when they are available.
- Supervise Student Placements and ensure proper paperwork is completed.
- Responsible for program set up, classroom clean up and organization.
- To administer and record all children’s medication, plans of action and behavior charts
- To develop and maintain meaningful relationships with families and the community
- Other duties as assigned by Centre Director and Assistant Director
- Early Childhood Education Diploma or equivalent and NS Classification
- Experience working in childcare
- Maintain current first aid and CPR certification.
- Maintain a clean Criminal Record Check which includes a clear Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Provide and maintain an up-to-date Child Abuse Registry Check.
- Attend Child Abuse Protocol Training.
- Free Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Individual & Family YMCA Membership
- Strong Work Life Balance Programs
- Discounted Childcare and Program Rates
Reports to: Director of Early Learning Centre
Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/ Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Abuse Registry Check. They will also be required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training, as well as successfully complete First Aid and CPR training.
The YMCA of Cape Breton is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
How To Apply
Be the welcoming face.
Be that reassuring smile.
Be the helping hand.
Be the spark that helps everyone Shine On.
Please email your cover letter and resume in one document to HR@cb.ymca.ca by 4:30 pm ADT Friday, January 26th, 2024. It is imperative that the cover letter and resume illustrate your professional competencies in relation to this position. Please reference YMCA-ECE TERM 2024 in the subject line and note only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Please note only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.