Early Learning Centres
Our YMCA Child Care programs are based on a curriculum that encourages the physical, mental and social development of your child. We create engaging environments where your child will learn, grow, and thrive.
As Canada’s largest child care provider, we create opportunities for children to have fun, learn new things, and most importantly, create a space they look forward to visiting every day. In other words, a home away from home. And that’s what you’ll find at the YMCA.
If you are interested in a career in Early Childhood Education or curious about upskilling your current ECE classification, please visit Training and Workforce Devt | Education and Early Childhood Development (ednet.ns.ca) to learn more about all of the new opportunities Nova Scotia’s Department of Education and Early Childhood Development has made available.
A fully accessible, welcoming, and stimulating environment for children ages 6 months to 5 years and their families. We deliver our signature play-based curriculum, YMCA Playing To Learn, that is child-initiated and adult supported. Our staffing is made up of knowledgeable Early Childhood Educators who plan daily experiences based on children’s interests, developmental levels, and strengths. We welcome all children and families with our inclusive approach to program delivery.
- A safe and stimulating learning environment
- A home-like family-centered approach
- Morning and afternoon snacks
- Nutritious lunch following the Canada’s food guide reccomendations
- Active play experiences in a variety of settings including our gym, surrounding community, and our own onsite playgrounds.
- A curriculum that incorporates the foundations of language, the arts, reading, writing, math, numeracy, and science.
- Daily communication to families
- 2 Infant rooms (6months-18months) Adult to child ratio 1:4
- 1 Toddler room (18months-3years) Adult to child ratio: 1:6
- 1 preschool room (3 years-5years) Adult to child ratio: 1:8
- We operate between the hours of 7:45am-5:00pm
- Subsidies are available- Eligibility is based on your family income
For more information on our program or to join our staffing team, please contact: Amanda Costello, Director of Early Learning Centre, Amanda.Costello@cb.ymca.ca or 902-270-8724
The YMCA of Cape Breton is excited to partner with the SRCE as part of Nova Scotia’s child care expansion, to bring licensed child care to the Guysborough community in 2023!
We know how important high quality, accessible child care is to the Guysborough community and will be providing updates on our website to communicate information as it becomes available.
Please view our Frequently Asked Questions document for more information.
For additional inquiries, please contact Nicole MacDonald, Senior Manager, Childcare Division at Nicole.Macdonald@cb.ymca.ca