Summer & Day Camps
Keep your kids active and happy this summer while helping them grow and learn!
- Registration opens April 4, 2022 @ 9:00am for members and returning campers
- Registrations opens April 8, 2022 @ 9:00am for non-members
*Please note – your child must be entering grade primary in September 2022 to enroll.
Keep your kids active and happy while helping them grow and learn! YMCA PD day camps offer kids age 5 to 12 fun-filled days of activities like swimming, arts and crafts, sports, and games.
Check the Day Camp Registration page for availability and dates.
Summer Day Camp – Junior Camp Counsellor
Time Commitment: Minimum one full week, possibility for the full 8 weeks of camp. Camp runs Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, however junior counsellors have flexibility within those hours. Must be available for camp training on Wednesday, June 29.
Age requirement: 13-15 years old
Locations: Eltuek Arts Centre, Frank Rudderham Family YMCA, Y’s Service Community Centre
Junior Counsellors are an asset to our programs – assisting in planning and implementing day camp programs, set up and take down of events and activities, and maintaining a clean, safe, FUN and organized camp atmosphere.
May include a mixture of the following
- Assist counselors in developing fun, engaging and age appropriate camp programming.
- Assist in preparing, implementing and engaging in camp programs.
- Assist in organizing and inventorying supplies.
- Assist in keeping camp program areas, storage areas, and office area clean, safe and organized.
- Assist in maintaining a safe, FUN and engaging camp atmosphere through working with staff team and being a positive role model for all children and youth.
- Minimum age: 13 years
- Volunteers will need to provide a Child Abuse Registry check before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- First Aid/CPR training is an asset.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and with others in a team setting.
- Strong communication skills.
- Responsibility, reliability and commitment to the role.
- Child-focused, team player, values driven, positive role model.
- Gain experience working with a multi-service, charitable organization.
- Develop leadership skills in a dynamic and fun setting.
- Gain experience working with children aged 4-12, from various backgrounds and dimensions of diversity.
- Know that you are contributing to the positive, healthy development of children and youth.
- Gain volunteer hours for community service.
- Gain important and valuable employment experience and skills.
- Meet new friends and acquaintances that share similar interests.
- Learn new skills, gain more confidence and coaching experience.
How to apply
Why Volunteer for the Y?
The YMCA of Cape Breton aspires to be a great place to volunteer through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all volunteers. The YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful opportunities to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values.